Siyatha Top Stories

Wellcome.............. Aubowan..............

Mahesh Denipitiya


Mahesh Denipitiya needs no formal introduction being the son of the eminent musician - Patrick Denipitiya. Music runs in Mahesh’s blood.
A Computer hardware engineer by profession - he was destined to become a musician which he took to like a duck takes to water. Mahesh gave up a brilliant IT career to move into music to become a remarkable keyboardist, composer and arranger.

“My life story began at Kaduwela in 60’s” says Mahesh relaxing at his home in Colombo when I met him one Sunday afternoon.

“I was the second in a family of three and at the time my father had his own Combo which featured C. T. Fernando who was the main pop artist. I initially stepped into the world of music with a guitar with the blessings of my father. He presented me with a guitar as a birthday gift from him,” recalled Mahesh.

“So began my music career with my father taking the decision which was given priority considering the fact that I was a student in school. Though recordings and shows which meant late nights, took much of my time, my father taught me how to manage time, hence it did not disrupt my studies.

This was the time I met my wife Nandika. I first met her when I was involved with a ‘Bakthi gee’ programme. My wife being Buddhist and a lover of music was an admirer of my ability. Though I was a Roman Catholic I had no religious discriminations.

I have two children a daughter Dulani and a son Eshan who are both schoolgoers and are very good at music. Both are very creative.” Both of them demonstrated their creativity when they played a duet on the piano at the request of their proud father.

When inquired how he met the Super Stars - Mahesh became very thoughtful and silent - suddenly he broke the silence and said “The producers and directors spotted me at a live concert and requested me to play solo. However, it was my choice that various instruments should be introduced to enhance the music of the songs I had to play.”

When asked his views about the show ‘Super stars’ Mahesh said “This gave momentum to hidden talent - a new out look in the field of music as people became more interested in trying out and weighing their talents.

These were the people who were waiting to display their creative talents through the world of music.